Sunday, July 31, 2011

Here and There - Day Four

I am pretty sure mom will be writing her own account of day four, but I wanted to at least say something about today, because today was a happy day. Aside from me now being back in Salt Lake and Ammon still being in Flagstaff... and I am no longer there to witness what goes on during the days.

So here are my last words, at least for now:

Today Ammon moved himself, with the assistance of the physical therapist, into a chair. A big feat and I bet he was pretty stoked about life in that moment. Once he was settled the nurse decided that it would be okay to go for a little roll around the hospital, and get out of the stuffy ICU room.

You should've seen the look on his face.

Ammon is not one to sit still, unless he is sleeping. And even then I'm sure his dreams are full of rock climbing adventures. So laying in a bed for four days is really not something he is good at, laying in bed for even one day is not something he is good at. So the fact that he got to get out of that room today probably felt a little like Christmas.




Since he can't go outside yet the nurse decided it would be nice to take him up to the skywalk so he could get a good view of city. All the way up he said hi to every person we passed and gave them a little wave. I think he might be a little tired of seeing the same faces everyday all day long, so someone new and different was exciting.

He got to fly the helicopter his Uncle sent him, and even Skype his girlfriend to show her that he got to go for a walk. It was just what he needed, even Meredith the nurse was happy that she got to leave the ICU for a little bit. It's gloomy down there.

 Flying the helecopter

Ammon and Meredith, one of the amazing nurses taking care of him.


After our adventure through the hospital we went back to the room and I got to hangout with Ammon for a little bit by myself. I fed him some soup and helped him set up his Skype account and just sat there with him, and then it was time to go. 

It's difficult to be strong when your heart feels so weak, but it just has to be done. He was being tough and there were no sign of tears, so I blinked a few times, gave him a hug and went on my way. Believe me, the tears came out later, like when I was sitting at the gate waiting for my plane and a little kid was starring at me, and then again when I was sitting on the plane playing Sudoku. And then again when I saw my best friend and he gave me a hug I lost it in the middle of his work. 

Maybe I shouldn't write about crying on here but right now I just don't care. I'm the big sister and my heart is more than a little achey right now. And no, I can't be tough all the time. So there. I said it. 

Now I am home in Salt Lake, I just Skyped with Ammon, and will probably do so everyday until I get to see him again. Apparently he has been moved out of the ICU, but I know nothing of that adventure so mom is going to have to write about it later. 

I'm just happy to see that Bob finally made it to the hospital. 
Every little thing really is going to be alright. 


So keep on smiling babe. 
You have the heart of a lion, don't ever forget it. 


- Karamea 

No comments: