Monday, August 1, 2011

Karamea left Flagstaff on Saturday afternoon and left blog posting to me. Today is Monday. I'm a little behind. It's late but I promised a new post so we'll see how this goes.

We took Karamea to the airport during "quiet time" at the hospital. But quiet time didn't turn out to be so quiet for Ammon. When we returned to the hospital he had been moved to a place called Step Down and he had a roommate. We couldn't all fit in the room at the same time and we had to be quiet...is that even possible?

The Scovilles up north checked in around 6:00pm so we did the skype thing for a bit. Ammon talked to Grandpa and Grandma Scoville and saw some of his Aunts, Uncles and cousins. I don't know what they were saying cause he had his earbuds in so as not to disturb his roommate.

We left for a bit and when we came back we learned that the nurse had walked into Ammon's foot a few times. Ammon is too tall for his bed. We talked to the head nurse on duty and she decided to move him to a room all by himself. That meant I could stay the night with him. I pulled up the recliner, got my blanket and we fell asleep. He woke up a couple of times and needed his back rubbed. Laying in bed for too long is painful.



Sunday! The highlight was going outside! I don't think I've ever seen him smile in such a pleasing sort of way. He was so happy to be outside and breath in the fresh air. It started to rain so we ended up back at the skybridge. He fell asleep but we stayed there until 2:00. We got back to his room and squeezed by everything to get him back into bed. The rooms are really tight, especially for 6'2".

Aside from being able to go outside it was a difficult day. He was missing Kaden's farewell and part of his family was leaving. I decided to stay while the boys went to get food. He rested while I wrote in his book and took a few photos.

A mother never wants to leave her children behind and that is exactly what I had to do. I told Ammon it was time for us to go and tears welled in his eyes as he said, "you're leaving?" My heart broke into a million pieces as I stood in the corner and wept. I told him I would go home and fix up a special room for him. He said, "I don't want a special room. I just want my bed." I picked up the pieces of my heart. Kissed him goodbye and walked away. Hamilton was waiting in the hall. I sent him back in so Ammon wouldn't be laying there all alone. This was a very sad moment.

Today...Monday...surgery #3 went well. Hamilton choose sitting at his brothers bedside over the Park City soccer tournament. This was his report -

Ammon is good so far today. He got a all cleaned up, and got a massage on his back where it was hurting. He just went in for his 3rd surgery. They said he will have another one on Thursday, and we'll see from there! Thanks for all your love, prayers, and best wishes!


Ammon has came out of his surgery. He is now in recovery. They said his surgery went great! His cuts are getting smaller and smaller. They said he is doing a lot better then they thought. His next surgery they will mostly be focusing on the foot.

Ra says the surgeons are enamored by him. His upbeat, charismatic personality are a joy to be around. Today there were 5 surgeons working to do some vascular work on his leg. And now I am falling asleep. I'll try and type more tomorrow.

2 comments:

Lil said...

Thank you for this beautiful report on Ammon!!! My prayers and good thoughts are with him and you all...I love you all...reading this, was like reading about one of my own...Love you Ammon...hang in there...

Lil

Karl-Erik said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. Ammon seems like a strong young man, and the Spirit he carries with him is helping him through this. Give Ammon my best, you don't know me, but I was in the same church building as you guys before our new chapel was finished, so I saw you often. Ammon, heal quick!